Service Academy Nomination
One of the distinct honors of serving in the U.S. House of Representatives is the opportunity to nominate exceptional young men and women from the 36th Congressional District to be considered for an appointment to one of our nation’s service academies.
• Must meet the minimum admission standards including medical, physical, and academic requirements of each individual academy. Please contact the service academy of your preference directly to establish a pre-candidate file. Each service academy will be able to answer specific questions about their programs.
• Must obtain nomination from an official source; such as Rep. Brian Babin (TX-36th), Texas Senator John Cornyn (www.cornyn.senate.gov), Texas Senator Ted Cruz (www.cruz.senate.gov) or Vice President Kamala Harris (https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/vice-president-harris/). Please go to their web sites for more information.
An individual must meet the admission requirement of the academy, as well as receive a nomination in order to be considered for appointment to the academies. The ultimate appointment decisions rest solely with academy officials and are based on competitive evaluations of all of the nominations submitted to them.
Applicants Must Be:
• U.S. Citizen
• Legal Residents of the 36th Congressional District of Texas.
• At least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age by July 1 of the year of admission
• Unmarried with no dependents
• By law, graduates of the service academies are appointed to active duty as commissioned officers and serve in the appropriate branch for a minimum of five years.
Texas District 36 Academy Application Packet Deadline:
Completed application packets must be returned to Rep. Babin’s Woodville Office (100 W. Bluff Drive, Woodville, TX 75979) by October 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm CST. Send to the attention of Rachel Iglesias, Regional Director of Community Relations. Contact Rachel.Iglesias@mail.house.gov or call (409) 331-8066. The packet should be submitted in its entirety with the exception of the official SAT or ACT scores. Incomplete or late application packets will not be considered.
You should contact the Admissions Office of each academy to request a pre-candidate questionnaire or go to their web site and fill out the online application. The web sites are listed below for your convenience. Once you have completed your application to the academy you will automatically be considered for the preparatory school/s as well.
U.S. Air Force Academy
U.S. Military Academy
U.S. Naval Academy
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
U.S. Coast Guard Academy (No nomination required)
Texas District 36 Application Packets Must Include:
• Completed online application form (Below)
• One Page Resume
• A typed (double-spaced), well-written 250 word essay (12-point Arial or Times New Roman font) detailing why you desire to attend a U.S. Service Academy and why you want to be commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Armed Forces. Place full name on essay.
• Three personal recommendations. Each person making a recommendation must sign and date their letter. They must also provide their contact number and email.
• Official copy of High School Transcript
• Official copy of College Transcript (if applicable)
• Official copy of SAT and/or ACT scores. These reports are in addition to the scores on your transcript.
Rep. Babin’s Score Report Codes: SAT 7940, ACT: 7769.
The testing institute will forward the scores directly to Rep. Babin at 100 West Bluff Street Suite 100, Woodville, TX 75979.
Please take the College Board early in the application process to allow time to retake the test should you wish to raise your scores.
Please keep all of your nominating sources and the academies appraised of any changes in your status (such as higher SAT or Act scores, additional honors and activities, change of address or phone numbers).
Rep. Babin’s Academy Nominations Committee will review all packets and then conduct individual interviews. Applicants will be contacted well in advance with the location and time for their interview. If you do not desire to pursue attending one of the other academies, please do not select them as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice. Required fields are followed by *.